Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Online Sources: General - Virginia
The Library of Virginia!
- Selected databases can be accessed by residents of Virginia outside of the Library.
- Register online with your valid Virginia driver's license or Virginia ID number (Registration is easy!)
- Access materials not available through your CNU account.
- Includes access (as of October 2021) to items such as: America's News: Historical and Current; American Civil War Research Database; Historic Map Works Library Edition; Mountain People: Life and Culture in Appalachia (1700–1950); Nexis Uni; Proquest Historical Newspapers. Black Newspaper Collection and more.
Book Sources: General - Virginia
- A selection of books/e-books available in Trible Library.
- Click the title for location and availability information.
"Know Virginia" by
Call Number: LD5674.5 .K73
: the University of Virginia news letter, 1925-1975 : a golden anniversary anthology
A True Discourse of the Present State of Virginia by
Call Number: F229.H24 T8 1957
Reprinted from the London ed., 1615, with an introd. by A.L. Rowse
The discourse is followed by three letters: (1) From Sir Thomas Dale, dated Jamestown, June 18, 1614; (2) From Rev. Alexander Whitaker, dated Virginia, June 18, 1614; (3) From John Rolfe, giving his reasons for marrying Pocahontas.
Virginia Gazette (Historic on Microfilm)
Call Number: Microfilm
Virginia Historical Index (a.k.a. Swem's Index) by
Call Number: F221 .S974
An index to items that contain primary source materials:
VA Magazine of history and Biography, 1893-1930;
William & Mary Quarterly, first series: 1892-1919 second series: 1921-1930; Tyler's Quarterly, 1919-1929; VA Historical Register & Literary Advertiser, 1848-1853; Lower Norfolk County Virginia Antiquary, 1895-1906; Hening's Statutes, 1619-1792
Calendar of Virginia State Papers, 1652-1869;
We the States
Call Number: JK311.V817 W3
An anthology of historic documents and commentaries thereon : expounding the state and federal relationship
Search for More
- Suggested terms to look for include - diary, diaries, letters, papers, documents, documentary or correspondence.
- Combine these these terms with the event or person you are researching. (example: civil war diary)
- Also search by subject for specific people and events, then scan the titles for those keywords or others such as memoirs, autobiography, report, or personal narratives.