Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Trible Library Catalog Search
Find More items in Trible Library
Finding Film Reviews & Criticisms
- You may need to look in more than one place.
- The older the film is, the more likely you will need to consult the print resources for reviews.
- You may also find it helpful to search for things like a director's name, an actor's name, or a genre of films.
- A broad topic such as Motion Pictures or Film may also be helpful depending on the type of article(s) you need.
The more you know...
- Know the date the film came out
- This will help you select places to search
- Know what you are looking for a review or a criticism
- Provide opinions on the creativity, entertainment, social and cultural value of a film
- Designed to let a viewer know if the film is worth their time
- Usually fairly short, although in some cases they may be longer
- Are generally found in popular magazines, newspapers and websites
- Generally do not reflect on things like the film's place in a director's body of work or on specific aspects of the film such as lighting, music, and casting choices
- Are more scholarly in nature
- Are more lengthy
- Discuss films in a broad context, such as the political, social, historical, or cultural significance of the film
- May compare films from the same director or within a particular genre
- May discuss the film in relation to the director's, actor's or script writer's body of work rather than as a single film
- May focus on specific aspects of the creation of the film including things such as lighting, music and casting choices