Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Often used as a term to indicate a broad period of time when the bubonic plague spread across Europe during the middle ages.
- There were actually several major outbreaks during that time period as well as later instances.
- Other terms used included: Black Death, Great Pestilence, or Great Plague.
- Other types of plague include: septicemic and pneumonic.
- The term plague may also be used to refer to other types of diseases that caused widespread illness and death; especially in historical documents.