Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Online Sources: Women - U.S. Civil War
A Belle of the Fifties: Memoirs of Mrs. Clay, of Alabama
Covering Social and Political Life in Washington and the South, 1853-66.
A Southern Girl in '61
The War-Time Memories of a Confederate Senator's Daughter
From Flag to Flag
A Woman's Adventures and Experiences in the South During the War, in Mexico, and in Cuba.
The Woman in Battle
A Narrative of the Exploits, Adventures, and Travels of Madame Loreta Janeta Velazquez, Otherwise Known as Lieutenant Harry T. Buford, Confederate States Army
Two Diaries from Middle St. John's
Berkeley, South Carolina, February-May, 1865.
Book Sources: Women - U.S. Civil War
- A selection of books/e-books available in Trible Library.
- Click the title for location and availability information.
The Diary of Nannie Haskins Williams by
Call Number: F444.C6 W57 2014
: a Southern Woman's Story of Rebellion and Reconstruction, 1863-1890 / edited by Minoa D. Uffelman, Ellen Kanervo, Phyllis Smith, and Eleanor Williams.
Letter from Washington, 1863-1865 by
Call Number: E628 .L25 1999
Excerpts from the author's newspaper column which originally appeared in the Detroit advertiser and tribune.
Mary Chesnut's Civil War by
Call Number: E487.C524 M3
Selections from this work were previously published under title: A diary from Dixie.
The Secret Eye by
Call Number: F213 .S43 1990
The Journal of Ella Gertrude Clanton Thomas, 1848-1889
Search for More
- Suggested terms to look for include - diary, diaries, letters, papers, documents, documentary or correspondence.
- Combine these these terms with the event or person you are researching. (example: civil war diary)
- Also search by subject for specific people and events, then scan the titles for those keywords or others such as memoirs, autobiography, report, or personal narratives.